UK Start Up Visa (For Entrepreneurs)
Aspiring business owners who want to launch their venture in the United Kingdom can apply for a Start-Up visa.
Start a Business in the UK
UK Start-up Visa - Eligibility & Application Process
The UK Start-up visa is intended for business people who want to launch a company in the UK. You don’t have to be a graduate or have any initial investment. However, you must have a unique, marketable, and scaleable business idea that has been approved by a recognised organisation.
Start-up visas are single-use, two-year visas that do not directly lead to permanent in the UK. Holders of Start-up visas can, however, prolong their stay under the Innovator visa category and become eligible for ILR after three years. Start-up visa candidates are permitted to travel to the UK with their spouse and any minor children.
UK Startup Visa Overview
- Bring your partner and children with you as your dependents if they are eligible
- Work for your business as well as another job
- Return to the UK after travelling abroad
- Have a minimum age of 18
- Be an English language proficient
- Demonstrate that you have sufficient personal savings to support yourself in the UK
In the UK, those who enter via a start-up visa or switch from another visa to a start-up visa can stay for two years.
When it comes to immigration services for new businesses, Royal Migration Solutions is among the best in the Middle East. Our immigration lawyers have been invited to join the Investment Migration Council and the Investor Support Network for their advocacy work on behalf of startups.
We take great satisfaction in being available to our customers and in anticipating and resolving their concerns. As part of courteous and professional service, our staff is committed to providing entrepreneurs with transparent immigration assistance.
On this page
UK start-up visa eligibility
Your application’s “credibility” will be evaluated. In particular, you’ll need to demonstrate:
The business concept needs to be:
- Substantially distinct from anything else known to the public making it a novel invention
- Innovative, add value and be different from anything else on the market
- Viable with significant growth potential
- An endorsing body must evaluate your business or idea before you apply
- You will receive an endorsement letter if your business is viable.
- The endorsement must come from an authorized body, such as a business with a track record of assisting British entrepreneurs or a higher education institution in the United Kingdom
If eligible, your partner and children can also apply to stay in the UK. Separate applications will be required. We have been in the immigration sector for more than two decades with numerous success testimonials to support our claim that Royal Migration is the best platform for obtaining a visa for your spouse or child(ren).
Fill out the form to get started with us.
If you do not qualify for a Start-up visa and you want to work or live in the United Kingdom, you might be eligible for a different type of visa. All you need to do is fill out the contact form and Royal Migration will determine your eligibility.
UK start-up visa requirements
- An endorsement letter signed by an endorsing body
- A valid passport or other documents proving your nationality and identity. The start-up visa requires a blank page in your passport if you are not a member of the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland, or Liechtenstein or if you have an EU, Swiss, Norwegian, Icelandic, or Liechtenstein passport without a biometric chip
- Whether you are applying for a Start-up visa from outside the UK or already residing in the UK and switching to a Start-up visa, you must provide a bank statement that proves your ability to support yourself
- You must provide proof of meeting the language requirement unless you have already done so in a previous successful visa application. You must demonstrate your ability to read, write, speak, and understand English at a level required by the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR)
- A certificate containing the results of a specific medical test, applicable only to those who are from countries that require this test
- For documents not in English or Welsh, the applicant will provide a certified translation
- Your application will require payment of a healthcare surcharge
- If you already reside in the UK and wish to switch to a Start-up visa, your biometrics will be required
UK start-up visa application process
The start-up visa application process depends on whether you are from within the UK and switching to the start-up visa type or you are from outside the UK and intend to create a start-up in the UK.
In either case, Royal Migration has got you covered with top-notch Business Immigration consultants and lawyers to give you the desired results. A record of over 252,000+ successfully processed authentic visas in 2 decades is a medal on Royal Migration. Fill out the contact form to begin your visa application process.
Getting a decision
Once you have submitted your application, verified your identity, and provided your documents, you will have to wait for approximately three weeks if you are outside the United Kingdom for your visa decision or you will receive your visa decision in approximately eight weeks if you live in the UK. The process differs depending on whether you are within or outside the UK.
You may be able to pay for a quicker decision if you need to attend an appointment.
Questions? You’re covered
No! It is not possible to extend the Start-up visa. However, Innovator visas may be available if you set up a business while on a Start-up visa and provide the following evidence:
The endorsing body reviews and approves it, it is actively trading, and sustainable, and you are actively engaged in it daily.
The visa risk termination if the endorsing body withdraws its endorsement. To extend your stay, you must re-apply with a new business endorsement before the current visa expires. Even if you receive a new permit, you can only stay for two years.
- Apply for most benefits, public funds, or the State Pension
- Work as a professional sportsperson, for example, a sports coach
- Settle in the UK permanently on this visa
If your application is successful, you will get a comprehensive list of what you can and cannot do with a Start-up visa.
UK Start-up Visa Eligibility Check
Are you eligible for the UK start-up visa program?
The Start-up visa category is appropriate for high-potential, early-stage entrepreneurs who want to launch their first company in the UK. Contact us to discuss your eligibility with one of our business immigration consultants.