Skip links

Rural and Northern Immigration Pilot

The Rural and Northern Immigration Pilot was established in 2019 to attract qualified workers and support economic growth in rural areas. Communities in Ontario, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta, British Columbia, Nunavut, the Northwest Territories, and Yukon are all part of this initiative.

Canadian PR through RNIP

Rural and Northern Immigration Pilot Guide

The Rural and Northern Immigration Pilot is a community initiative. Its goal is to distribute the economic benefits of immigration to smaller communities by establishing a path to permanent residence for qualified foreign workers who desire to work and live in one of the participating municipalities.

0 %
Success rate
Filed applications

RNIP Overview

Canada is well-known for welcoming many immigrants. However, the vast majority of new immigrants prefer to live in major cities such as Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver under the present immigration system. The Rural and Northern Immigration Pilot aims to change that by assisting small towns in attracting newcomers and assisting them in settling in. Rural and northern areas interested in participating in the trial program can apply. The federal government assists the communities that have been accepted in identifying and selecting new permanent residents. The economic development of the newcomers is predicted to be beneficial.

This program builds on the success of the Atlantic Immigration Pilot (AIP) program, which began in 2017. The Atlantic Immigration Partnership (AIP) aims to encourage immigration to Canada’s Atlantic Region by matching potential arrivals with employers in the region.
People with skills, education, and work experience that can boost the Canadian economy are encouraged to apply for permanent residency in Canada. At Royal Migration, we have the knowledge and facilities to facilitate your application process and maximise your approval probability. Contact us to benefit from our expert assistance.

Who can apply

You must meet the following requirements to be eligible for the Rural and Northern Immigration Pilot (RNIP).

– Meet or exceed the language requirements
– Have qualifying job experience or have graduated from a publicly financed post-secondary institution in the endorsing community
– Educational prerequisites are met or exceeded
– Demonstrate that you have the money to fund your transition into the community
– Intend to stay in the community
– Fit the community’s special needs.
– If you’re in Canada at the time of your application, you’ll need to have temporary residence status.

Do you meet all the requirements? Reach out to us for a free profile assessment.

Note! Exemption if you have accumulated work experience over a long length of time.

You are now free from the requirement to collect work experience over a continuous period due to interruptions caused by the COVID-19 epidemic. You can now accrue qualifying work experience of at least one year of full-time work (or an equivalent amount of part-time work) within the last three years, whether that work experience was continuous or not. This exemption covers any employment interruptions that occurred in the three years leading up to your permanent residency application. It does not have to be due to a COVID-19-related work halt.

All other work experience and qualifying conditions must be met as well.

Unless you’re exempt, you’ll require one year of continuous work experience (at least 1,560 hours) in the previous three years.

To figure out how many hours you’ve worked, use the formula below.
– Sum-up the number of hours worked in part-time and full-time employment
    – The hours might be split across multiple occupations and employers.
    – The hours must be spread out across at least a 12-month period.
    – Inside or outside of Canada, the hours can be set.
    – You must have been permitted to work in Canada if you worked there.

– Hours for which you weren’t compensated for are not counted (such as volunteering or unpaid internships)
– Self-employed hours are not considered.

If you work for more than one company or in more than one occupation;
Your work experience must meet the National Occupational Classification (NOC) skill level requirements specified in the job offer:

  • NOC 0 job offer: your work experience must be in NOC 0 or A
  • NOC A job offer: your work experience must be in NOC 0, A or B
  • NOC B job offer: your work experience must be in NOC A, B or C
  • NOC C job offer: your work experience must be in NOC B or C
  • NOC D job offer: your work experience must be in NOC D

You must have prior work experience.

– The functions stated in the lead statement of your NOC cover the majority of the main duties
– The activities listed in the lead statement of your NOC.
You can find out what responsibilities your job entails by looking up your job title on the NOC website.

If you’re an international graduate with no work experience, you don’t have to meet the standards if

– You have a degree, diploma, certificate, or trade or apprenticeship certification from a recognized post-secondary institution in one of the four Atlantic provinces (New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, or Newfoundland and Labrador).
– You were a full-time student for the entire time you were studying
– Lived in one of the following provinces for at least 16 months during the last two years before you graduated; New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, or Newfoundland and Labrador
– Possessed the visas or permits you required to work, study, or train in Canada.

One of these is a must-have:
– You must have a Canadian one-year post-secondary educational certificate or higher, or the equivalent outside Canada if you have a job offer at the NOC 0 or A skill type or level.
– You must have a Canadian high school diploma or the equivalent outside Canada if you have a job offer at the NOC B or C skill level.
If you studied outside of Canada, you’ll need an educational credential assessment (ECA) to demonstrate that your studies are equivalent to or higher than the degree of education necessary for the position.
– On the day your application is received, your ECA report must be less than 5 years old.

Based on the NOC category that your job offer falls into, you must meet the minimum language standards. This could be one of two possibilities.
– Canadian Language Benchmarks (CLB) or Niveaux de compétence linguistique canadiens (NCLC)

Each NOC category has its own set of language requirements.

– CLB/NCLC 5 for NOC 0, A and B
– CLB/NCLC 4 for NOC C

With your application, you must include the results of a designated language testing organization. When you apply, these results must be less than two years old.
To learn more about language testing

When you arrive in Canada, you must have enough money to maintain yourself and your family. The amount you will require is determined by the size of your family. Anyone you support who isn’t immigrating with you counts as part of your family.

Our immigration specialist will help you in finding out how much money you should bring with you to Canada.

You don’t need to produce proof of finances if you’re already living and working in Canada with a valid work permit.

Participating communities

Eleven cities have been chosen as of June 2019 to take part in the pilot. To test the pilot, these communities will get a variety of assistance and programs.

– Thunder Bay
– Sault-Ste-Marie
– Sudbury
– Timmins
– North Bay

– Gretna-Rhineland-Altona-Plum Coulee
– Brandon
– Saskatchewan
– Moose Jaw

– Claresholm

British Columbia:
– West Kootenay
– Vernon

Program Requirements - Communities

A community must have a population of 50,000 or less and be located at least 75 kilometers from the center of a census metropolitan area, or a population of 200,000 or less and be considered remote from other larger cities, in order to qualify.

Communities need to be in one of the below provinces or territories:

  • Alberta
  • British Columbia
  • Manitoba
  • Northwest Territories
  • Nunavut
  • Ontario
  • Saskatchewan
  • Yukon

Communities must submit an economic development strategy that is backed up by a local economic development agency capable of running the pilot. Communities must also show that they possess work options for newcomers as well as the financial means to assist them in settling in.

Questions? You’re covered

The RNIP scheme might take anywhere from 12 to 18 months to grant a PR. To accelerate the process of relocating to Canada after being recommended by the community and submitting an application for PR, you can apply for a work permit simultaneously.

A community-driven initiative in Canada called the Rural and Northern Immigration Pilot encourages newcomers to settle in the country's relatively smaller towns.

According to the standards outlined in section 14.1 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act, the RNIP Program will run for 5 years and accept a maximum of 2,750 complete applications (from principle applicants) for processing each year (IRPA).

No, after being awarded permanent residency in Canada through the RNIP, you must specifically intend to move to the recommended community.

Provide a legitimate employment offer that satisfies the following criteria and is co-signed by the principal applicant. The offered position must be full-time and permanent. Full-time employment requires at least 1,560 hours of work year and 30 hours of paid work per week.

Eligibility checkup

Check if you are eligible to immigrate to Canada through RNIP

To be eligible for the Rural and Northern Immigration Pilot (RNIP), you must meet educational, language and professional experience requirements. Please fill out the form to discuss your eligibility status with us today.

Rural and Northern Immigration Pilot Application Process - Apply with RMS

1 1


Verify your Eligibility Status for RNIP

To be eligible for this program, you must meet the minimum requirements outlined above. Contact us to check on your status.

2 2


Pass IELTS exam with our free training

Royal Migration has experienced Language teaching experts to make IELTS exams simple and fast for you.

3 3


Gather all Documents and Apply

Use the Document Checklist [IMM 5987] to help you gather the necessary documents. Our Processing officers will take you through the process smoothly.

Make the best out of your application, let's assist you

Request a call

Trending Programs