Visit the UK as a Standard Visitor
The United Kingdom is one of the world’s most popular tourist destinations. For people going to the UK for a brief visit to see friends or family or for a quick vacation, for tourism or leisure, a visa may be required.
UK for tourism, leisure and family visit
UK Visitor Visa - UK Tourist Visa Requirements and Application Process
The UK Standard Visitor visa is available for visiting friends and family, doing business, taking short studies, or travelling to the United Kingdom for medical reasons. On this site, you can find out if you need a visa for a trip to the UK and how to apply.
You can be a standard visitor to the UK either for tourism, business, and other activities. Be sure that what you want to do as a visitor in the UK is allowed and that you meet the eligibility requirements to apply for a visa.
Note! These figures were last updated on MONDAY, 7th NOVEMBER 2022, at 3:45 PM GMT +4
UK visit visa overview
- Make sure what you plan to do in the UK is allowed as a Standard Visitor.
- Make sure you meet the eligibility requirements.
- Find out if you need a visa to visit the UK.
- Get a Standard Visitor visa if you need one
You can visit the UK as a Standard Visitor:
- For tourism, such as vacations or holidays
- Visiting family and friends
- Volunteering with a registered charity for up to 30 days
- Transiting from the UK to another country
- To attend certain business activities, such as meetings or interviews
- Participate in a school exchange program
- Recreational courses lasting up to 30 days, such as dance classes
- Studying, doing a placement, or taking an exam
- In the capacity of an academic, a senior doctor, or a dentist
- Due to medical reasons
Our immigration consultants have helped many people from all over the world visit the United Kingdom for business, pleasure, and family obligations.
To start on time and advance in a way that is consistent with your visit goals, our consultants can assist you in making the necessary preparations.
On this page
UK visit visa eligibility guidelines
You must meet the eligibility guidelines and only do permitted activities. You must be able to show that:
- As soon as your visit ends, you’ll leave the UK
- During your trip, you can support yourself and your dependents (or have funding from someone else).
- Your return or onward journey can be paid for (or you have funds from someone else)
- You are not planning on living in the UK for an extended period by frequent or successive visits, nor are you planning to settle in the UK permanently
Visiting the UK may require you to meet additional eligibility criteria if travelling for Studying, doing a placement, taking an exam, academics, doctors, and dentists or for medical reasons. Contact an immigration expert for advice and help.
UK standard visitor visa requirements
You’ll need to provide the following for your application:
A passport or travel document-your passport should be valid for the duration of your stay. The must be a blank page in your passport for your Standard Visitor visa.
- A date you plan to travel to the UK
- Proof of lodging
- The estimated cost of your trip
- Address and length of stay at your current residence
- Your annual income (if you have one)
- Information about any crimes, civil cases, or immigration violations you’ve committed
Depending on your circumstances, you might also need to provide
- Travel history for the past ten (10) years
- Contact information for your employer
- If someone is paying for your trip, their name and address
- Your family members’ names and addresses in the United Kingdom, as well as their passport numbers
- If you’re staying longer than six months, you’ll need a tuberculosis (TB) test certificate
If you’re visiting the UK to study, as an academic, or for medical reasons, you need to provide additional documents. In case you would like to receive a detailed list of travel requirements based on your travel intentions, please fill out the contact form.
How long you can stay
The UK Standard Visitor Visa permits its holder to enter the UK and live for up to six (6) months.
If you regularly visit the UK, you can apply for a long-term Standard Visitor visa. It is valid for a period of 2, 5 or 10 years. During each visit, you can stay for a maximum of six months.
A long-term Standard Visitor visa will only be valid for up to six months after you turn 18 if you’re under 18.
Applying for a standard visitor visa
Prior to travelling to the UK for a visit, you must apply for a Standard Visitor visa and make an appointment at the visa application centre.
The earliest you can apply is three (3) months before you travel. You can use the contact form on our website to contact an immigration consultant who will assist you with the application process for a UK Standard Visitor visa.
The decision on your visa usually takes approximately three (3) weeks after you’ve applied, verified your identity, and provided your documents.
The decision on your application will be sent to you via email or letter. The email or letter will explain the next steps you need to take.
Working with a UK standard Visit Visa
Holders of a UK Standard Visit visa are not permitted to work in the UK. Neither are they permitted to receive compensation from a UK source except in certain circumstances.
Visitors on a Standard visa cannot work for an organisation, or business in the UK, undertake work placements or internships or provide or sell goods or services in the UK.
While in the UK, holders of the Standard Visitor visa can conduct remote work related to their employment overseas, such as responding to emails or answering phone calls. However, your visit to the UK should be to engage in a permitted activity, not specifically to work remotely from the UK.
A Standard Visitor visa also allows its holder to seek employment and attend job interviews in the UK. Upon obtaining employment, you will be required to leave the UK and acquire the appropriate entry clearance before beginning work.
Questions? You’re covered
No! You are not required to prove your English level proficiency when applying for a UK standard visitor visa.
No. You will be required to submit your biometrics at a visa application centre as part of the application process, but it is not an interview.
Standard Visitor visas are valid for six months and allow multiple entries during the validity period.
Unless they are eligible for settled or pre-settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme, all European Union (EU) nationals coming to work in the United Kingdom will need a visa. The only exception to this rule is for Irish Citizens.
The application process for a UK visa is one of the most rigorous and scrutinized in the world. Every year, the UK Visas and Immigration department receives thousands of visa applications that do not meet the visa requirements. UK visa refusals remain permanently in the UK Home Office's records. The best way to avoid such a scenario is to fill out and submit the enquiry form to get started on your application with an experienced Royal Migration UK Standard Visitor visa consultant as soon as possible.
UK Visit Visa Eligibility Check
Are you eligible for the UK visit visa?
Our immigration consultants have helped many people from around the world visit the United Kingdom for business, pleasure, and family obligations. Contact us to discuss your UK visit visa application.